Monday, November 1, 2010

Music: Simple Joys


I am a frustrated singer. As a Filipino, not being able to sing is a disadvantage during Karaoke time. Such a shame since I'm not known to be shy. My sister-in-law's beautiful voice is wasted on her because she would only sing at home and here I am just waiting for my spotlight. As a firm believer in using the talents God gave us, I thought that He played a joke on me. Oh well.

Here are the songs that I would have on my IPOD if I have one. They don't necessarily define me, but rather I choose them for the simple joys they bring. The songs range from the sweet, haunting melodies to the head-banging and who-cares-if-they-see-me-rocking kind of songs.


One August day, I was rocking to Bob Seger's "OLD TIME ROCK AND ROLL" on the way to work minding my own business and singing at the top of my voice. Then seeing the look of amusement on the faces of two young men in the car next to me. It was a sight to behold, lol. I didn't know who was more embarrassed. Then at the end of the day, finding this in my inbox...just the funniest version with Niles from The Nanny rocking in his skivvies. Move over, Tom Cruise.







Karen Carpenter died too soon. I thought of the song "I HAVE YOU" when I saw an elderly couple walking hand in hand. And then I thought of lost loves and of what could have been.






"HOW DID YOU KNOW"- by Gary Valenciano. The lyrics say it all. The poignant melody in a tear-jerker of a movie just rips into your heart. Fair warning, you can end up the next day with swollen eyes.

How did you know
I needed someone like you in my life
That there was an empty space in my heart
You came at the right time in my life








"BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY" by Queen was made more intriguing by its ground-breaking promotional video. According. to Wikipedia," the song has no chorus, instead consisting of three main parts: a ballad segment ending with a guitar solo, an operatic passage, and a heavy rock section." I don't care how weird Freddie Mercury was, but nobody can deny his genius. The audience just erupted into a massive sing-along. Talk about full audience participation.







"KUMUSTA KA" by Nonoy Zuniga. My favorite Pinoy balladeer.

This Filipino song is a whimsical take on that awkward moment when former lovers meet after years apart. The man continues to pine after the woman, but he becomes tongue-tied and all he could say is "Kumusta ka?" (How are you?)






"All By Myself" by Charice- big things come in small packages. Thanks for You-Tube. I just gave her a standing ovation at home, never mind that my son and nieces just rolled their eyes at me again. The power and the confidence just astounds me...boom...boom...boom. You just realize that you have to pick up your jaw from the floor. She will be a true global superstar.





Louie Armstrong and his trumpet... just sexy. "LA VIE EN ROSE" - oooh la la, sultry and hot.








No comments:

Post a Comment