Monday, September 2, 2013

Learning the "Cup Game"




There I sat in front of my computer completely mesmerized by the repetitive rhythm of hand clapping and plastic cup banging on the table. The video tutorial looked easy until you have to contend with uncooperative plastic cups with minds of their own.

My son was impressed when he heard me use the word “twerking” after the Miley Cyrus debacle on the VMA awards show. This time, I was trying to raise my 'hip factor' status in my son's eyes, just to dazzle him more that I can learn new tricks that I can show off at the next party. But it seems easier to teach our dog Boomer to stop being psychotic when he sees other dogs in the street.

My hand-eye coordination had been used up with the Tetris games of my youth. With too much neurons that I have to conserve for my real work, I cannot seem to match the singing and hand routine in sync.

Singing the “When I’m Gone” song while performing the Cups routine is proving to be a major challenge for me. Ugh. I know it has something to do with muscle memory but it's difficult to concentrate when I'm still struggling with a perfect pitch. It’s something similar to knowing the next Gangnam style dance step by heart without looking like I’m flailing like a mad woman.

My childhood game of Penpen de sarapen should have prepared me for the dexterity needed for this Cup game. But it’s not working for me so far. I am hesitant to admit that the Cup routine is maybe two generations too late for me. Fail.



“Cups/ When I’m Gone" is a radio-friendly remix of the song that Anna Kendrick performs in Pitch Perfect. The title takes its name from Kendrick's percussion instrument: a plastic cup, which she shuffles around like a person playing the Cup Game.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/comprehensive-history-of-the-cups-phenomenon.html





Performed by 600 Irish choir kids-




Accapella cover









Just a hint of nostalgia...

Pen pen de sarapen,
de kutsilyo de almasen
Haw, haw de carabao batutin

Sipit namimilipit ginto't pilak
Namumulaklak sa tabi ng dagat.

Sayang pula tatlong pera
Sayang puti tatlong salapi


No comments:

Post a Comment