Friday, July 4, 2014

Fourth of July, Happy Independence Day





On this Fourth of July, Americans across the US celebrate the 238th anniversary of the country's independence from Britain. A national holiday, it is observed with parades, picnics, concerts, department store sales, blockbuster movies, hotdog-eating contests, and fireworks.

Courtesy of Macy’s, the night sky along the East River in NYC was lit with a spectacular display of fireworks with the magnificent Brooklyn Bridge in the backdrop. It was dazzling, electrifying and patriotic. It was also a reminder of how the United States is a bastion for freedom, a leader of the free world.

I am thankful to and for America. From my native Philippines, I ventured to this faraway land and had spent half my life in this great country. As a naturalized citizen, I bow my head in a prayer of thanks for the boundless blessings and opportunities that were given to me and other countless immigrants who now call this country home.

Let us remember the founding fathers who signed the Declaration of Independence, as well as those men and women who keep the country safe. Let us celebrate those who sacrifice life and limb just so we can enjoy our freedom and independence and the inalienable rights granted to us by the constitution.



Update 7/4/18:
And on this National Day of Freedom, may we all be humane enough to stand for those who seek the same freedom. Although we should always promote legal immigration, let us not condone separation of families as a just means to achieve that. Separating kids from their parents is JUST EVIL.


Update 7/4/2020:
Happy birthday, USA. The land of the free. Quite ironic that people are using the excuse of freedom of speech to malign and oppress. Also, quite stupid and ignorant to espouse the freedom not to wear a face mask mask when the nation is still in the throes of the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite all this, I am still blessed to be in the land of my dreams, where I had spent more than half of my life. Happy 4th of July, everyone.




God Bless America- written by Irving Berlin

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer

God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with a light from above
From the mountains, to the prairies

To the oceans white with foam
God bless America
My home sweet home



















No comments:

Post a Comment