Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Music is Universal, Di Ba?




I am not a linguist. And definitely not a singer. But how wonderful it would be to sing in different languages. What’s even more amazing is that a listener like me can be touched by music even if I do not understand the lyrics. Truly, music transcends the barrier of language.

NELLA FANTASIA- Italian

A month ago, in one of my infrequent forays in the subway, I heard a most beautiful rendition of Nella Fantasia. The music was incongruous with the singer. The man’s face and clothes were covered in grime, but he sang so beautifully in a language I didn’t understand. His baritone voice rose above the din of the subway train. He was in a world of his own, for once he had an audience who appreciated him. I fought the tears as I just listened and imagined that he sang of hope and peace. The words “Nella Fantasia” remained with me.

As soon as I got home, I came upon Sarah Brightman’s performance of this Italian song. "Nella Fantasia" ("In My Fantasy") is based on the theme "Gabriel's Oboe" from the film The Mission (1986). The music was composed by Ennio Morricone with lyrics by Ferrau.



In my fantasy I see a just world
Where all live in peace and honesty
I dream of souls that are always free
Like clouds that soar
Full of humanity in the depths of the soul
.



LA VIE EN ROSE- French

The Youtube views of the La Vie en Rose English versions of Louie Armstrong and Daniela Andrade are staggering with more than 26 million views each. Edith Piaf wrote both music and lyrics to what will be her signature song.

But the French version by Laura and Anton of the Foxtails Brigade is spellbinding. It has a sexy vibe to it.



Hold me close and hold me fast
The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose
When you kiss me, Heaven sighs
And though I close my eyes
I see la vie en rose




"DER HOLLE RACHE- German

This is the Queen of the Night's Aria from Mozart's The Magic Flute opera.
The English lyrics are dark and foreboding, but they don’t take away from the incredible vocal acrobatics. Mica Becerro from The Voice Teens Philippines earned the four-chair turns from the judges. Just seventeen years old, she’s my bet to be the grand winner. I don't even care what the song means; I'm just flabbergasted at how the song soars into the unknown.






C'EST SI BON- French

C'est si bon is a French popular song composed by Henri Betti with the lyrics by André Hornez. Eartha Kitt’s version was so sensual and seductive that you could almost hear the purrs in her voice. Romance in a candle-lit room. Sultry music delivered by a charismatic singer.



It's so good,
Just wandering around,
Arm in arm, arm in arm,
And Singing songs.

It's so good,
To whisper sweet words - ,
Little nothings,
But little nothing that can be
said again and again.




"THE PRAYER"- some verses in Italian
Written by David Foster, Carole Bayer Sager, Alberto Testa and Tony Renis.

Just listen and remember the name Marcelito Pomoy. It's a tour de force performance. Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli who? (just kidding). Oh, yes, he sang in Italian, too.



La luce che tu hai
(I pray we'll find your light)
Nel cuore resterà
(And hold it in our hearts)
A ricordarci che
(When stars go out each night)
Eterna stella sei
Nella mia preghiera
(Let this be our prayer)
Quanta fede c'è
(When shadows fill our day)




DAHIL SA IYO- Tagalog (Filipino)

Dahil Sa Iyo" was composed by Mike Velarde, Jr in 1938 and has become a classic Filipino love song. The song was translated in several languages: English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, and the local languages of the Philippines. A certain First lady with the thousand shoes loved the song.

The American great singer Nat King Cole lent his smooth vocals to this song. He crooned his way to the hearts of the Filipino people.




Because of you, I yearn to be alive
Because of you, ‘till death (you) must realize
In my heart I know there is only you
And ask my heart, you’ll know that this is true


No comments:

Post a Comment