Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Mighty Ukulele


Credit: Renee Dominique





I almost learned how to play the ukulele. As a teenager, I tried to strum along on a cheap ukulele that we bought in Cebu, Philippines. Back then, my father used to blast Don Ho’s “Tiny Bubbles” and the “Hukilau Song” throughout the house. The ukulele made me think of Hawaii, of its gentle breeze, of ocean air, of swaying palm trees, and of graceful hula girls. A ukulele is a portable music on the go; instantly bringing you to a place of simple, happy tunes.

The mighty ukulele fascinated me; just a diminutive instrument that did not scare me like the guitar did. I told myself, "I can do this, surely it couldn't be too hard". Just four strings... not intimidating at all. The ukulele is folksy and carefree, innocent but exotic. The sound is described as “chunk-chunk” but the instrument is much more welcoming of someone like me with chunky fingers. Even Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam took a fancy on the ukulele and called it “less strings, more melody”.

Don Ho- “Tiny Bubbles”





A new find

Just recently, I heard that distinctive sound of the ukulele again. Instantly, I remembered that long-ago moment in time, with my father’s music as we both swayed to the music of the “Hukilau’ song, grass skirts and all. In my later years, I now understand that the ukulele is not just for Hawaiian songs; that it is actually versatile and can sound just as good in any kind of genre. Albeit a nostalgic reminder of my father's music, the mighty ukulele has retained its magic and its carefree appeal.

The ukulele brought a new discovery for me. Renee Dominique is an 18 y/o Filipina musician who weaves magic with her ukulele and her airy, soothing voice. Her songs are eargasmic pudding in the brain. She is proficient in different musical instruments, but she exerts a compelling presence with her ukulele as she croons oldies and contemporary songs with a combination of pixieness and sultriness. Her wide repertoire appeals to both young and old.

Renee's original songs are beautiful poems sung with her unique sound, part-millennial, part old-soul. Her videos have metamorphosed into stunning visuals but there is still that soothing voice of a woman with her mighty ukulele. The songs she write are odes to her own journey. Her angst is familiar to me; similar feelings from a long time ago, but nevertheless, something that reached out to me. She is a gem.







And then there are more ukulele sensations:

Jake Shimabukuro went viral (before the word was invented) with his rendition of the Beatles’ “My Guitar Gently Weeps”.





Israel Kamakawiwo'ole- The Iz- 'Over The Rainbow' & 'What A Wonderful World'





Zooey Deschanel & Joseph Gordon-Levitt- “What Are You Doing New Years Eve?”




Uhm, I must confess, I still have not learned how the play the ukulele. It's not the chunky fingers; I just don't have rhythm.




No comments:

Post a Comment