Sunday, February 14, 2021

Love letters to my Nanay


 


Feb, 14, 2021

It is my mom’s 90th birthday today. Last night in the Philippines, we celebrated with her and with other relatives and friends via Zoom. She always wears pink on her birthday, my Nanay with her grey curled hair and her favorite necklace. She reigned over the food fest that my sister and I arranged for and my family prepared for her. Balloons and decorations proclaimed her special day, with only the immediate family allowed in the house, but with a few other guests invited to come later to collect their “pabaon” in a socially-distanced way.

I cannot hug her, I can only content myself in singing along to her birthday and in watching her get a kick out of her money cake. A month ago, she cried during our FaceTime calls; she was frustrated because we could not travel back home. It was rough seeing your mother cry, at whatever age. Damn this pandemic scourge.

 

As I scrolled down on my Facebook posts, I came upon all my love letters to Nanay on her special day. 

Last year on Mother’s Day, I wrote:

My heart belongs to the one person who can bring me down to my knees with a single look when I was naughty as a kid; the one person who can lift my heart with a sweet smile; the one person who can make me giggle until I jingle when she starts her chicken dance; the one person who inspires me with her resilience and quiet strength; the one person who can make me open my wallet with just a little wink; and the one person who can get me bawling like a baby with a single tear.

 

2020

Happy birthday to my dearest mother Marina Segovia Cerrudo, Feb. 14th. Love you to the moon and back, mader. I just love your light spirit, your joie de vivre, and your ready smile which shines even brighter when you see Jordan on the call.

 

2019

It's February 14th in the Philippines now. Happy birthday to my dearest Nanay. I hope you enjoy your special day with your grandkids, complete with a pizza party, chicken joy, spaghetti, or whatever you want. Just say the word, Nay, and we will send you anything your heart desires. You deserve the best, only the best for a woman with a heart of gold and strength of steel. I can never say No to you because you've given us your all. The only woman who let me get away with not learning to cook because you wanted me to concentrate on my studies. You know me oh-so-well. I love you to the moon and back.

 

2018

Nanay, on your birthday this February 14th, I am most grateful for everything you've done and sacrificed for us. We didn't have much growing up but you've always placed your five kids first and foremost. We are rich because we are loved. Of all the things you have passed on to me, I think I have your resilience and your capacity to enjoy the simple things in life. Of all our pictures together, my favorite is just last November when you held Jordan and me close to you. Then, you just burst out laughing uncontrollably so I just hugged you tighter. Forgotten was the long pressure-ulcer-inducing hours on the plane. So, I guess I have to save up to see you next year so I can feel your warm hug again. I love you so much. Mother dear. You have my heart.

 

2017

What can I say to the most loving Nanay ever? On your birthday, I feel you in my heart. I love you to the moon and back.  Sorry that I am not there to celebrate with you on your most special day, but I am glad you are surrounded by our family and friends. Enjoy, Mader. Miss you so much. And as your eldest,  I  have first dibs on your heart.  🙂

 

2016

February 14th- today is my mom's 85th birthday.  How blessed we all are for still having her in our lives. May God continue to surround her with love and bless her with good health. She remains a source of inspiration for all of us; a fount of great love. She is simply amazing. I am glad that she enjoyed her birthday party a few weeks ago. Bongga pa rin si Mader.

 

2015

Happy birthday to a wonderful mother!  I wish you the best of health, more loving people around you, more tong-its, more vitamin Bs (SMB), and birthdays to celebrate. Thank you for your love.  Happy hearts day!

 

2014

With her unconditional love and her selfless heart, she shaped my character, guided me through life's ups and downs, and gave me the confidence to live my life to the fullest. As the matriarch of the family, she is our strength and our moral compass.

I can never thank her enough for all that she has done for me. I love you, Nanay.

 

2013

Happy birthday to my mom, Marina Segovia Cerrudo. No matter what we've achieved in life, you've given me the greatest gift of all - your unconditional love. By your quiet strength, you made us strong. Enjoy your special day, mader. And when I see you in June, I promise you more Barbies than your heart desires.

 

2012

February 14 is special to me because it's my mother's birthday (Marina Segovia Cerrudo).  With her unconditional love and her selfless heart, she shaped my character and guided me through life's ups and downs. I can never thank you enough. I love you, Nanay.

"May hihigit pa ba sa isang katulad mo

Inang mapagmahal na totoo

Lahat nang buti ay naroon sa puso

Buhay man ay handang ialay mo

Walang inang matitiis ang isang anak

Ika’y dakila at higit ka sa lahat."

 

2011

Happy birthday to my dearest Nanay. How can I say thank you to the woman who exerts the most influence in my life? She did not have a trail-blazing career, but she showed us quiet strength and an unyielding spirit despite adversities.  Hers was not an easy life, and so I wish that in her later years, all five of her children can shower her with the love that she so richly deserves. We love you, 'Nay.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment