Sunday, August 8, 2021

Top 6 Comfort Songs Playlist

 

On this dreary rainy August afternoon, I pulled out my Playlist of comfort songs. These are the songs that uplift me, like an earnest tug at my heart, like a cool breeze on a summer day, like a hug on a sad day, like a loving embrace, and at other times, like a warm blanket on a cold night

These comfort songs are an eclectic list and range from romantic to spiritual. The rest of my playlist is instrumental; others are head-banging and mind-clearing melodies. They calm and encourage; my list is an emotional first aid kit and a self-love exercise. They're not only for those times of melancholy or turbulence but mostly when I feel introspective and sentimental. 

 Here are my top 6 comfort songs. I listen to them quite often, even during happy times. I put my headphones on and let the music wash over me, ease my mind, and lift my spirits. Just me and my music.



HAVING YOU NEAR ME

Bugoy Drilon - (cover)


An original song by Air Supply. Written by Rex Goh, Clive Davis & Graham Russell and released in 1980. I love Bugoy Drillon’s cover of it. He’s one of my favorite Filipino singers and he infused this love song with some swag and a sexy twist. “Tagos sa puso”. Although a romantic love song, this song appeals to me on a higher level. When you have your loved ones close to your heart, that’s being content and at peace. Sometimes, knowing you're loved is enough. Or it could be as mundane as your dog snuggling up to you. It will be alright.

 


FIX YOU

BTS Performs 'Fix You' (Coldplay Cover) | MTV Unplugged Presents: BTS


This is a Coldplay original song released in 2005. This British rock band collaborated on this song, started by Chris Martin, to comfort his then-wife Gwyneth who was grieving her father’s death. There is something especially romantic when someone offers to fix your broken heart. My new obsession, the supergroup BTS, performed an MTV unplugged version. They said that this song comforted them during the pandemic isolation. Coldplay tweeted their approval and praised the BTS cover with this: 아름다운 (which means beautiful).

 

 

YESTERDAY

Reneé Dominique-  The Beatles (cover)


 Although "Yesterday" was written by Paul McCartney as a heartbreak song in 1965, I never thought of it that way. Maybe this song is just symbolic to me of the Beatles' genius and greatness. As sung by Renee Dominique, another Filipino musician, this song is an aesthetic eargasm.

 


EPIPHANY

BTS (방탄소년단) LOVE YOURSELF Answer 'Epiphany' Comeback Trailer


Okay, I confess, my “bias” ('favorite' in modern lingo) in BTS is Kim Seok-Jin, Mr. Worldwide Handsome. But I love Epiphany for its beautiful melody, its anthemic celebration, and its inspiration of/for self-love. In live concerts, the Army fans sing along to the chorus, “I’m the one I should love,” their purple lights swaying to Jin’s emotional performance. 

This epiphany is an unapologetic discovery of the importance of loving yourself first. You cannot give when you're running on empty. I can listen to this song continuously in a one-hour loop.

 


3 THINGS

Jason Mraz - 3 Things (Official Audio)





Simply put, the lyrics explain why it’s a comfort song.

 

There are three things I do when my life falls apart

Number one I cry my eyes out and I dry up my heart

Not until I do this will my new life start

So that's the first thing that I do when my life falls apart

Oh the second thing I would do is I close both of my eyes

And say my thank-yous to each and every moment of my life

I go where I know the love is and let it fill me up inside

Gathering new strength from sorrow,

I'm glad to be alive

And things are looking up

I know above the clouds the sun is shining

Things are looking up

Love is still the answer I'm relying, oh right

Three little things

Things are looking up

Oh, the third thing that I do now when my world caves in,

Is I pause, I take a breath, and bow and I let that chapter end

I design my future bright not by where my life has been

And I try, try, try, try, try again

Yes I try, try, try, try, try again


 


HOW GREAT THOU ART

 Josh Turner - How Great Thou Art (feat. Sonya Isaacs) (Official Audio) ft. Sonya Isaacs




Sam Santiago



This Christian hymn started as a Swedish traditional melody and a poem. It was translated from Russian to English and is now considered the second most favorite hymn after "Amazing Grace" of all time. This song was covered by Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton, Anne Murray, Carrie Underwood, Pentatonix, Home Free, and then 9-year-old Sam Santiago (now 19 y/o).







No comments:

Post a Comment