Friday, April 21, 2023

Guilty Pleasures #4: Flowers, Delilah, Doodles, Su-hyun, Eruption, BTS Choreography




     






              

    

“ 

      It seems that I have a lot to be guilty of nowadays. Life is full of guilty pleasures. Do I care if some think I am too frivolous? Heck, no.


  "FLOWERS”

Here’s my disclaimer again: I am not a Miley Cyrus fan but there is no denying the fact that she has great songs in her discography. I love “The Climb” but this new song “Flowers” is my new LSS (last song syndrome). I will add this to my playlist of girl power/ badass songs like “I Will Survive”, “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)”, “Man, I Feel like a Woman”, and “Panahon na para Magsaya” from Sampaguita.

“I can buy myself flowers, Write my name in the sand / Talk to myself for hours, Say things you don’t understand / I can take myself dancing, And I can hold my own hand / Yeah, I can love me better than you can.”

Hurray to self-empowerment and self-love. Miley’s raw vocals gave this song an authentic expression.  It is a reminder to everyone that we can all rise above all adversities and that we can survive and actually flourish on our own. It is a call to arms for single women (and men) out there that they do not need to stay in an unfulfilling relationship.

I have been buying flowers for myself for a long time. And I am okay with it.

This is the lyrics video. Watch her official video at your own risk  😊



 

2)   DELILAH’S SAPPY LOVE SONGS

"You're listening...to Delilah." Anybody who is into romance would know the self-anointed “Queen of sappy love songs.” Delilah is an ultra-famous radio personality with a nationally-syndicated call-in and dedication request program. With about 200 stations and approximately 8 million listeners, Delilah’s distinctive voice has ruled the airwaves.  

Whether it’s about missing a special someone or trying to get over a heartbreak, or someone who needs encouragement and tough decisions to get out of an abusive relationship, Delilah has a song.

Recently, the stories inspired me to write more love stories. One was between a paramedic and a nurse. Another call-in story ended with her reuniting high-school sweethearts. She is better than all those match-making sites out there.

And then, we learned about a widowed woman who married her brother-in-law. The woman’s sister passed away several years before, almost at the same time as her own husband also died. Long story short, the widow and the widower blended their big family together, and the cousins became step-siblings and lived happily ever after.

It’s not just schmaltz and saccharine. She does not hold back with giving tough love advice to those she gently calls knuckleheads. She went through all life's ups and downs and always spoke from her heart.











https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1319-hey-its-delilah-92847861/

 


3)  THE ART OF DOODLING

I am guilty of doodling when stuck in a long or boring meeting. Doodling while in a long meeting keeps me sane. I do not mean to disrespect the speakers, but I just needed to draw or sketch in my notebook in order not to zone out or sleep. I doodled so I could concentrate or release some tension, my cortisol-reducing activity. Well, this was my excuse whenever my seatmate nudged me to pay attention.

A psychologist named Andrade wrote that doodlers actually retain more information than non-doodlers. I also learned that J.K. Rowling doodled faces and characters as she wrote Harry Potter. Hmmm, maybe that’s a better excuse. 








 




      LEE SU-HYUN 

There is joy in discovering new talents. Especially if it is just a consequence of the BTS rabbit hole that I am (proudly) in now.

Lee Su-hyun, 23, is a delightful singer from South Korea. She is one-half of the brother-and-sister team of Akdong Musician (AKMU), who rose to prominence after winning a talent contest. During her brother’s military enlistment, Su-hyun joined a group of “buskers” or street performers who performed on the streets of Portugal, Hungary, and Italy as part of the “Begin Again” troop. 

Begin Again is a musical reality tv show where musicians and singers who were renowned and established in South Korea traveled to these European countries where they were virtually unknown. These singers were like ambassadors of sorts by promoting Korean music to the rest of the world. Instead of the New York subways, they staked their claim in plazas and squares near the lakes of Lisbon and Budapest.

Together with Lena Park, Hareem, and Henry, Su-hyun enthralled the crowds and stopped them on their feet. The faces of the audience reflected their wonder at seeing these talented musicians singing mostly in Korean. They might not have known the words, but the music touched their hearts. Beautiful music transcends the language barrier.

Su-hyun’s soprano voice is melodious, mesmerizing, and soothing. Like Lea Salonga, her voice evokes a Disney princess vibe. Her delivery is effortless, flawless, and hauntingly beautiful. The audience did not have any choice but to be captivated.





And then, as a pleasant surprise, one of my favorite Korean actors, Lee Dong Wook, worked with Su-hyun in the tv show “Sea of Hope” and dueted with her. The ladies were all swooning, I'm sure. Kilig much.




“ERUPTION”

The latest dance craze on TikTok is a remixed version of a Vietnamese pop song “See Tinh”. Enter Eric “Eruption” Tai, who posted videos of himself and his team gyrating to the “ting ting tang tang tang” dance.

Eric is a Tongan-Filipino actor, model, TV host, comedian, and former rugby union player, but he went through hard times before he hit it big with his gaming endorsements but most especially after his Tiktok dance went viral. 

How could this 6’1” muscled giant dance so effortlessly and gracefully? I cannot even coordinate my arms and legs without looking awkward. I have no rhythm or symmetry.




BTS CHOREOGRAPHY

My readers know my obsession with the supergroup BTS from South Korea, with all my blog posts gushing about this international group.

Here’s why I like (correction, LOVE) BTS.  

https://jcerrudocreations.blogspot.com/2022/04/why-i-like-bts-and-my-top-10-favorite.html

The 300-plus song catalog of a 13-year career is filled with a variety of songs that cater to all kinds of genres: pop, ballads, hip-hop, rock, R&B, soul, rap, jazz, and electronic dance music (EDM). Their videos are a feast for the eyes, sometimes overwhelming, while others are artistic and dramatic.

The choreography for the upbeat songs is simply amazing. The dance practice videos are exhilarating to watch. Even sans the glitzy costumes, magnificent sets, and fireworks, the dance practices are unbelievable. 

How can anyone be so limber? How could they not be gasping for air and out of breath? Their stamina may be attributed to these seven men practicing while on the treadmill. Heck, I get tired just watching them move. Oh, to be young.



 





PART 3- https://jcerrudocreations.blogspot.com/2019/07/guilty-pleasures-part-3-audio-books.html

Guilty Pleasures Part 2- https://jcerrudocreations.blogspot.com/2012/12/guilty-pleasures-part-2.html
Guilty Pleasures Part 1- 
http://jcerrudocreations.blogspot.com/2010/12/on-not-feeling-guilty-about-guilty.html

No comments:

Post a Comment